Balikpapan is a city in East Kalimantan.
Balikpapan is a major headquarters for international oil companies, mining companies and related support industries operating in (and out of) eastern Kalimantan.
It is a relatively clean, small city, with clear blue skies but not much by way of nightlife. Traffic does not yet inhibit travel within the city but is increasing by the day as relatively high living standards help to support a sea of small motor cycles.
The people there are a mix, with lots of Javanese due to transmigration, lots of people from Sulawesi, and of course, the locals. The people are quiet and polite, and the pace is slow and relaxed.
Most people arrive by air. Balikpapan's Sepinggan International Airport (IATA: BPN) has frequent flights from Jakarta, as well as commercial services from Surabaya, Banjarmasin, Tarakan, Yogyakarta and Makassar. There are also international flights from Singapore operated by SilkAir 6 times a week and from Kuala Lumpur operated by Air Asia 3 times a week.
- Susi Air  to local destinations across Kalimantan. +62 811 211 3080
- AirAsia 
The airport is on the coast just outside of the city. Airport taxis operate from the terminal; there is a fixed fare depending on the destination.
Balikpapan can be accessed from Samarinda, Bontang And Banjarmasin by land through 2 bus terminal From Samarinda, Bontang by Terminal Batu Ampar, and From Banjarmasin from the other terminal in the Batu Ampar District.
Semayang's seaport that serves cruises from Makassar, Pare Pare, Tarakan, Surabaya, and other eastern parts of Indonesia. This port is one of the busiest ports in Indonesia and the main gateway to Borneo, serving cargo ships not only from Indonesia and South East Asia.
Some taxi companies operates in Balikpapan. It is advisable to call for their call center, tell your location and wait the call center arrange their unit to pick you up. It is uncommon to wait for empty taxis on the street because they usually stop and wait for orders from their call center.
List of taxi companies and their call center number:
- Mawar (+62 542 873145)
- Kalung Mas (+62 542 762222)
- Globalindo Taxi (+62 542 878787)
Public transportation in Balikpapan consists of small minibus named angkutan kota or angkot for short. Locals often call angkot as taxi and metered taxi as taxi argo. There's no public bus inside the city. Minibuses serves public transport between points. Although there're dedicated routes, they often deroute due to passenger's request. They also sometimes don't serve the whole route.
The color of the minibuses determines their routes. Common routes are as follows:
- White top/Orange bottom (Route 1): between Kampung Baru Ujung and Terminal Batu Ampar
- White top/Light Green bottom (Route 2A): between Terminal Damai and Terminal Batu Ampar through Ring Road (possible deroute to Balikpapan Baru housing and or Damai III area)
- White top/Gray bottom (Route 2B): between Balikpapan Baru and Jalan A Yani through Jalan AMD
- White top/Light Blue bottom (Route 3): between Terminal Batu Ampar and Pelabuhan Semayang through Klandasan
- White top/Yellow bottom (Route 5): between Kampung Baru Ujung and Terminal Damai through A. Yani
- White top/Dark Blue bottom (Route 6): between Kampung Baru Ujung and Terminal Damai through Pelabuhan Semayang
- White top/Green bottom (Route 7): between Terminal Damai and Gunung Tembak
- White top/Light Yellow bottom (Route 9): between Terminal Batu Ampar and KM 24 to Samarinda
Plaza Balikpapan: This is the most popular shopping mall in Balikpapan. Located at the centre of the city and it is a must visit for visitors.
Dapur Bunda: A new beach located further off Klandasan. It offers a nice view of sunset.
Shopping: A market where the handicrafts are sold.
Kebun Sayur Traditional Market Center: A lot stones, gems, jewelry, diamonds with various type and price. Borneo is acknowledged as the rich island not just by oil or coal, but also with the beautiful gems.
Balikpapan has a beautiful beach such as Manggar and Lamaru located just outside the city, with entry only Rp. 3000,- you can enjoy all day sun bathe, if you're into crocs, there is a Crocodile Farm, near the Manggar Beach.
On Merdeka(Independent) square you can play soccer and do other sports. Check out the beach in balikpapan. See one of the nice local markets, and local tour operators arrange river safaris on the Mahakam River and Orangutan tours.
(BOS) Orangutan Sancuary and Eco lodge : Go see rescued orangutans and sun bears in their natural habitat. Just roaming around for the day or stay at the eco lodge for a few nights and experience the wildlife in the jungle. You can also do a 2 week or 4 week volunteering course, where you can help out with the animals. It is about a 1 hour journey by car from the city centre and if you stay the night or volunteer you will need out door equipment such as walking boots, spare clothes, insect repellent etc.
Amplang/Kuku Macan. It is a kind of chips made from fish.
- Pacifica Food Court in Balikpapan Plaza Mall has good food and a lot of choice.
- Bondy Restaurant is a big restaurant on the main drag with a very nice selection of seafood.
- Beach House Restaurant - Batakan / Manggar
- Batakan Beach Cafe
- Lia's Bar and restaurant - Batakan Kecil
- Yuli's Cafe (bar and restaurant) - Batakan Kecil
- Palm Court Restaurant - Batakan
- Dapeen Cafe - kelandasan
- Ocean's Seafood Restaurant - Kelandasan
- Kepiting Kenari(Crab specialist Restaurant), a very giant fresh crab cooked with some option of sauce (black pepper; sweet n sour; oyster sauce; boiled etc.). Located on Jalan Iswahyudi (Iswahyudi Street), 10 minutes from Sepinggan Airport.
- Dandito (another crab specialist restaurant) - Jln Jend. Sudirman above airport
- Balikpapan Plaza has KFC and McDonalds.
- PIZZA HUT is here, close to the mall. They do deliver.
- A&W is also available in the mall.
- Fantasi Mal - KFC and Excelso
- Kepiting Tambora (Crab specialist Restaurant) in Jalan Jendral Sudirman (Jendral Sudirman Street)
- Pondok Nelayan Seafood Rest., Jend. Sudirman Street No. 561, 0542-5660066 [official website] Weekday&Sunday : 10AM - 10PM, Saturday : 10AM - 11PM, Originate from Pontianak's (West Kalimantan) well known Seafood Restaurant.
- Color Beat Pub (Blue Sky Hotel)
- Borneo Bar(Le Grandeur Hotel)
- Borneo Sports Fishing Club (prev. Sid's Bar) at Jl Sudirman 24, Gunung Bahagia. Bar with sea views.
- Rende Vu (Novotel Hotel)
- Red Square (Sagita Hotel)
- Lamaru Pub (Hotel Grand Senyiur)
- SQ (Adhika Bahtera Hotel)
- Nakhoda (Adikha Bahtera Hotel)
- Suzannas Liquor Store- you can buy alcohol by the case to drink at home.
There are a number of star rated hotels poised on the hills and at the beach that are perfectly adequate.
- Bahana Surya / Blue Sky Hotel one of the better places in town. With a nice swimming pool (external entry 30.000 IDR per person)
- Hotel Bahtera from 400.000 IDR
- Hotel Benakutai
- City hotel
- Dusit Hotel/ Le Grandeur
- Gran Senyiur Hotel The first 5 five stars hotel in town, owned by local people. phone : +62 542 820211
- Le Grandeur Balikpapan, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, (62-542) 420 155 [official website] Best rates on official website start at IDR 619,835 , 185 rooms and suites, the hotel sits in its own extensive gardens, adjoining a beautiful sandy beach, and overlooking the Makassar Straits. It is Kalimantan's only beachfront hotel.
- Hotel Haai, Sepinggan by pass, 0542766309 , the only "back to nature" hotel in Balikpapan, cottage/bungalow style rooms with private garages, room rate from 280.000 IDR, 3 mins from airport (10 mins to city).
- Hotel Murni a cheap option
- Hotel Nuansa Indah
- Town House Bukit Damai Indah, 0542-8879 650
- Aiqo Hotel, Jl. Apt Pranoto No.9, (62-542) 750288, 750336, 750267 [official website] , the hotel located within 5 minutes walk to Balikpapan Plaza, 15 minutes drive from the Sepinggan airport, start at IDR 228.000,-, clean and comfy
- France Consular Agency, c/o Total Final Elf E&P, Jl. Gunung Bugis, (62-542) 533-999 ,
- Philippines Honorary Consulate, Jl. Projakal 157, Klandasan Ulu, (62-542) 25-687 ,
- Bukit Bangkirai, , 62-542-736066 , Bukit Bangkirai is located 58 km north-west of Balikpapan.The main attraction here is the Canopy Bridge which is very famous in East Borneo. It was originally built for biological study of the ecosystem in the canopy of the tropical rain forest. However, it is popular for public to sight-seeing the beauty of tropical rain forest from 30 m / 90 ft above the ground. It's also a very nice place to enjoy the nature or to camp and watch the stars
To Be Updated