Pekanbaru is one of the cleanest big cities in Indonesia. It's the busy city after Medan and Palembang in Sumatera. It's very developing, has many unique architecture buildings with the taste of malay cultures.
From inside Indonesia
Garuda Indonesia, Sriwijaya Air, Batavia Air, Lion Air and Wings Air serves flight to/and from Sultan Syarif Qasim II International Airport, Pekanbaru.
Garuda Indonesia flies 5 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru.
Sriwijaya Air serves the route to/from Medan and Jakarta.
Lion Air flies 6 times a day to/from Jakarta-Pekanbaru and also serves the route from/to Batam.
Sky Aviation serves the route to/from Tanjung Pinang, Matak, Jambi and Tembilahan.
- Air Asia website: http://www.airasia.com (Call centre 0804-1-333333 in Indonesia; 1-300-88-9933 in Malaysia) flies daily from/to Kuala Lumpur-Pekanbaru. Morning flights (10am)on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.Afternoon flights (4pm) on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- Firefly website: http://www.fireflyz.com.my Call centre: +603-7845 4543 in Malaysia) flies daily from Subang airport (Kuala Lumpur) to Pekanbaru.
- Wings Air website: http://www.lionair.co.id flies Wednesday and Sunday to/from Malacca.
- Sky Aviation website: http://www.sky-aviation.co.id/ flies 5 times a week to/from Malacca.
From inside Indonesia
- To Riau Islands: Several companies operate ferries to Sekupang, Batam. Most ferries make a stop at Tanjung Balai on Karimun Island as well as Tanjung Buton and Selat Panjang in Riau.
UPDATE: To/From Batam. The way to travel between the Riau Islands and Pekanbaru now involves a 3hr minivan ride and a 3-6 hour ferry. Tickets can be purcahased at the Sungai Duku port in Pekanbaru for the mini-van and ferry combination ticket. The minivan picks you up at your hotel, picks up the rest of the pasengers, and then drives to the ferry dock in Tanjung Buton, about 3.5 hours away. Then you wait a bit until the ferry comes. The ferry comes, you pay a 1000Rp terminal fee, and then board the ferry. Pekanbaru-Tanjung Balai ticket cost 265000 on March 26,2011.
- To/from Malacca, Malaysia:
- Tunas Rupat Follow Me Express (Pekanbaru agent: Jl. Tanjung Datuk No 153, Pekanbaru. Tel: +62-761-858777. Malacca ticketing booth at Jln PM10 Melaka Raya. Tel: +60-6-2816766, office Tel: +60-6-2832506, +60-6-2832516) has ferries from Malacca to Pekanbaru on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 0930. From Pekanbaru to Malacca, they depart on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 0900. Journey time about six and a half hours. Tickets cost RM120/210 one-way/return from Malacca to Pekanbaru. There are unconfirmed reports that this ferry no longer operates. An alternative is to take the ferry to Dumai from Malacca. Leaving daily at 11 am. Takes around 2 hours. One way 250'000 IDR, return 460'000 IDR.
- NNH Ferry Services (Malacca ticketing booth G-15, Jln PM10, Plaza Mahkota Melaka Raya. Tel: +60-6-2881334) runs the Pelita Jaya ferry from Malacca to Pekanbaru on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9am.
You can find kind of transportations mode in Pekanbaru. There are are Mikrolet (Share taxi), Bus, Ojek (Motorcycle taxi), and Taxi. The new mode is Trans Metro Pekanbaru. It is like Trans Jakarta Busway in Jakarta. We have to buy the ticket first at their bus stop, one way fare is IDR 3.000. It's still on going project by Pemko Pekanbaru.
Bus terminal AKAP is located 5km from town. From bus station to town there are many public buses that stop at pre-determined stops. Tickets cost IDR 3000 and can be purchased inside the bus stop from a ticket agent.
Pekanbaru is not like Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Bali or Bukittinggi. Pekanbaru is not a main tourist destination in Indonesia especially for people from outside Sumatra Island, moreover outside Indonesia. But, if you go to Pekanbaru because of some reason have enough free time, why don't you visit some places and buildings. You may like some great buildings built by local government:
- Sang Nila Utama Museum, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No., ,
- Idrus Tintin (MTQ) Building, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, ,
- Great Mosque of An-Nur, Jl. Syekh Burhanuddin, ,
- Great Mosque of Pekanbaru, Jl. Masjid Raya (Pasar Bawah), ,
- Soeman H.S. County Library, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, ,
- Kampung Tionghoa Melayu (Chinatown), Jl. Dr. Leimena / Jalan Karet, ,
- Labersa Water Park, Jl. Labersa Parit Indah, ,
- Limbungan Reservoir Park, Rumbai, ,
- Alam Mayang Park, Jl. Harapan Raya, ,
- Play golf, Pekanbaru Golf Course Country Club at Kubang, Simpang Tiga Golf Course at Simpang Tiga, Labersa Golf Course at Labersa and Rumbai Golf Course at Rumbai Chevron Camp, ,
There are three major malls in Pekanbaru. The two best are Mall SKA and Mall Ciputra Seraya. The older Mall Pekanbaru is not as well as the other two but it still a good mall and offer a decent restaurant selection. Most of the people in Pekanbaru know where these three malls are located so getting there shouldn't be a problem. There are several other malls in Pekanbaru but they are not too interesting and some are closer to an indoor market then a mall (great place for bargains).
- Mall Pekanbaru, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, , Mega Dept. Store, Lucky Mart,Gramedia Book Store, Handphone Centre, Solaria, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Ikan Bakar Cianjur, KFC, Bread Boutique, MP Night Club.
- Plaza Senapelan, Jl. Teuku Umar, , Suzuya Dept. Store, D'cost Seafood Reastaurant, A&W.
- Plaza Sukaramai, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, , Ramayana Dept. Store, Trade Centre, Market.
- Pasar Bawah, , , You can find souvenirs, traditional foods and snacks, traditional products, and import products.
- Mall SKA, Jl. Soekarno Hatta, , You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Hypermart, Pizza Hut, A&W, Popeyes, J.CO Donuts and Cofee, BreadTalk, Excelsior, RotiBoy, Solaria, Rice Bowl, KFC, Disc Tarra, Electronic Centre, Billiard Centre.
- Mall Ciputra Seraya, Jl. Riau, , You can find Matahari Dept. Store, Food Mart, KFC, Texas Chicken, A&W, Pizza Hut, Solaria, Rice Bowl, J.CO Donuts and Coffee, New Zealand Natural Ice Cream, Bakso Lapangan Tembak, Disc Tarra, Time Zone. Riau21 (a branch of 21 bioskop) is located here.
- Plaza Citra, Jl. Pepaya, , Matahari Dept. Store, Mister Bakso, Timezone.
- Metropolitan City (MTC), Jl. HR Subrantas km 12, , You can find Giants Hypermarket.Kentucky fried chicken and solaria restaurant.
- Panam Square, Jl. HR Subrantas, , Ramayana Dept. Store.
- Durian at durian stalls along Jl. Sudirman, , ,
- Super Kitchen, Komp Riau Bisnis Center, 0761 860968 , Chinese restaurant located in the Grand Elite Hotel not too far from Ciputra Mall.
- Restoran Taman Anggrek, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai No., 571398 or 571425 , If your taxi driver can find it, good Chinese and Indonesian food. The chili garlic crab is excellent and if the matriarch is there the service is excellent.
There's also Anom Restaurant at Anom Hotel on Jl. Gatot Subroto, they're the same owner. Whatever food you find on Restoran Anom Taman Anggrek, you also can find them at Anom Restaurant.
- Koki Sunda, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No.247, +62761849998 , Sundanese restaurant.
- Minang Soto, Jl. Pattimura, Rumbai, , Famous for the Soto Padang. There are two restaurant with a same name in the street. The one I suggest is the one in a shophouse.
- Pondok Samba Lado Hijau, Jl. Soekarno Hatta No. 88 F, +6276136456 , The speciality here is Fish, infuse with Minangkabau/Malay style.
- RM Kota Buana, Jl. HOS Cokroaminoto no. 16, +6276122874 , Minangkabau restaurant. Famous for their Rendang and Cincang Kambing.
- Apollo Seafood Restaurant, Jl. Jend. A. Yani no., , This is one of the Chinese Restaurant in Pekanbaru, they also has branch on Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto.
- Pondok Gurih, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 202, +6276127069 , If you enter this restaurant, the staf will hit the Gong at the entrance.
- Bumbu Desa, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, , Sundanese restaurant.
- Riau Kuring, Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 405-409, , Located behind VanSquare.
- Tenda Biru, Jl. Arifin Ahmad, , Famous for the Mie Aceh
- Bebek Goreng H. Slamet, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 201, 076144886 ,
- Ayam Goreng Suharti, Jl. Riau, , Famous for its Javanese fried chicken and Yogyakarta food likes gudeg and sambal krecek.
- Kedai Kopi Kim Teng, Jl. Senapelan, , A chinese kopitiam (coffe shop). '.
- Bakmi Gila, Jl Gatot Subroto, , A new place in town for people who like noodle & spicy food, bakmi gila means crazy noodle, the place used to sell siomay unyil.
- Kedai Kopi Gundaling, Jl. Juanda, , You can taste the most localize chinese food in this chinese kopitiam , especially the original menu from Bagan Siapi-api that can't be found in anywhere else, Karipeng (contains pork/non-halal).
Online booking for hotels in Pekanbaru is not available as in many famous tourist destinations spots, except for high end hotels as listed below.
- Grand Elite Hotel, , 0761 - 860 988 [official website] , Grand Elite Hotel Pekanbaru is the first Business Hotel in Pekanbaru. It is located in the heart of Pekanbaru's China Town in Komplek Riau Business Center at Riau Street in Tampan District which is well-known as Entertainment area.
- Premiere Hotel, Jl Jend Sudirman No 389, 62-761-7891818 , new and chic hotel in town, 4 star, spacious room.
- Aston Pekanbaru City Hotel, , 62-761 886888 [official website] , 3-star Boutique business hotel with an ultramodern theme. One of the few Pekanbaru hotels that already offer online booking.
- Hotel Aryaduta, Jl. Diponegoro No. 34, 62-761-44200 , 5-star. Reasonable rates with special discounts during the weekend. Superior room starts from IDR550,000 per night (inclusive of a buffet breakfast). The hotel has a nice swimming pool and soccer field.
- Jatra Hotel, Jl Tengku Zainal Abidin No.1, 62-761-850888 [official website] , 4-star hotel. Inside the biggest mall inside Mall Pekanbaru, has a special service as Traditional Massage, Sauna and Health club. This Hotel is connected directly with the 1st class Entertaintment in Pekanbaru, like Hugo's Cafe, Karaoke club, KTV. I guarantee you'll get more satisfaction ever.
- Hotel Grand Zuri Pekanbaru, Jl. Teuku Umar No.7, 62-761-857888 , 4-star Directly opposite to Mall Pekanbaru and besides to Plaza Senapelan. 24 hour coffee shop, Karaoke Bar, Taurus Health Club and outdoor pool on 8 Floor.
- Labersa Grand Hotel & Convention Center, Jl. Labersa, Parit Indah, [official website] , 5-Star. May be the most luxurious hotel in Pekanbaru. It's 10 minutes away from the airport. This hotel is one compound with Labersa Golf Course and Labersa Water Park.
- Hotel Pangeran Pekanbaru, Jl.Jend. Sudirman No. 371-373, +62761853636 [official website] , 4-star. It's located near side Pizza Hut and opposite Martin Boutique and Durian stalls.
- Mutiara Merdeka Hotel, Jl. Kom. L Yos Sudarso 12-A, 6276131272 [official website] , 4-star.
- Furaya Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 72, 6276126688 [official website] , This is one of the well known hotel in Pekanbaru for Chinese Wedding Reception. It's located near side Pasar Buah Pekanbaru (Pekanbaru Fruit Market).
- Hotel Ibis Pekanbaru, Jl. Soekarno Hatta Kav. 148, +62761571600 [official website] , 3-star. The only Accord branch in Pekanbaru.
- Anom Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto No. 1-3, +6276136083 , The first famous Anom Restaurant is located in this hotel, before they open their branch on Taman Anggrek.
- Aziza Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai, , 3-star. A modern islamic hotel in Pekanbaru.
- Sabrina Hotel, Jl. Tuanku Tambusai, (0761) 789-3292 Standard 167,000 , Modern budget hotel for travellers. Includes free WiFi, air con, tv and water
- Pelangi Hotel, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto 39 B, +62761854899 , Modern budget hotel managed by Grand Zuri.
- Ratu Mayang Garden Hotel, Jl. Jend. Sudirman No. 11, +6276140370 ,
- Amaris Hotel, Jl. K.H Wahid Hasyim No. 30, [official website] ,
- Malaysia Consulate, Jl. Jend.Sudirman, (62-761) 22-305 ,
- Singapore Consulate, Gedung Surya Dumai, Lantai 4 Jl. Jend. Sudirman no. 395, (62-761) 41-010 ,
- Siak Sri Indrapura, a town of old Siak Sultanate. Visit Siak Sultanate Palace and many historial buildings.
- Muara Takus Temple, an ancient buddhist temple from ancient Srivijaya Kingdom.
- Dumai, a little port and beach town.
- Bagan Siapi-api, a little fishermen's town. Famous for chinese festivals like "Bakar Tongkang", Chinese New Year and Cap Go Meh.
- West Sumatra, the Land of Minangkabau culture. - Padang, only 6 hours drive, Bukittinggi 4.5 Hours drive.
- North Sumatra, the Land of Batak culture, lake, waterfalls, mountains, and orangutans.
- Batam Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Bintan Island, beach resort island. Popular to many Singaporeans.
- Kuala Lumpur and Malacca in Malaysia.
To Be Updated